Last Updated on
Every artisan, woodworker, craftsman, or DIY hobbyist need a portable workbench.
But what really, is it? And why should you own one?
You need a best portable workbench if:
- If your work involves projects in different locations
- If you have a bit crowded or small workshop
This device is designed to collapse flat such that it can be carried or stored compactly.
It seems easy, right? But choosing one can be a frustrating experience. Not when we have countless models to compare and test to see if they work correctly.
We’ve put together this list to help you pick the best portable workbench 2018.
We have found that workbenches are not built to the same standards. This means that you may get a model that looks okay, only to disappoint you in the end. That’s why it’s even more critical as these are not subtle investments.
Best Portable Workbenches 2018 Reviewed
- Worx Pegasus
- Keter Folding Compact
- BLACK & DECKER WM125 Workmate 125
- Performance Tool W54025
- Kreg KWS1000
|Model||Load Capacity:||Item Weight:||Worktable Surface:||Rating||Price|
|Worx Pegasus Multi-function Work Table and Sawhorse||Table mode: 300 lbs, Sawhorse mode: 1100 lbs||28 pounds||31 x 25 inches||⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️||Check price!|
|Keter Folding Compact Workbench Sawhorse Work Table||1000 lb||26.95 pounds||33 x 21 inches||⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️||Check price!|
|BLACK & DECKER WM125 Workmate 125 Portable Workbench||350 lb||1.42 pounds||33.5 x 24 inches||⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️||Check price!|
|Performance Tool W54025 Portable Workbench and Vise||200 lbs||8.85 pounds||35 x 25 inches||⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️||Check price!|
|Kreg KWS1000 Mobile Project Center||Table mode: 350 lbs, Sawhorse mode: 1100 lbs||40 pounds||31.5 x 27.8 inches||⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️||Check price!|
Worx Pegasus – Best Versatile Folding Portable Workbench
Do you want to bring your workbench wherever it’s needed? Well, the Pegasus promises to deliver on that aspect and so much more.
This item arrives folded in a Worx Pegasus box. You’ll not need to install anything.
Just unfold it and settle it down to start working on your projects. It is versatile, flexible, and easy to load.
Flexible Working Surface
The Worx Pegasus comes with four clamp dogs and two clamps. The clamps are easy to use and adjust when utilizing this workbench. The clamp dogs open up possibilities for working with different shapes of material.
You can rearrange them on the bench when you need to hold strangely shaped objects. It also comes with links which are intended for use with other Pegasus work tables. It allows for accommodating oversized materials.
You’ll like the clamping speed on the Pegasus since it does not need getting used to.
Lightweight and Compact
The Pegasus folds down to only 5-inches depth for easy carriage. It achieves a small print which makes it easy to store in small spaces. It can go back to the packaging box when you need to put in the back seat of your car during transport.
You don’t have to spin the handles when collapsing the unit. It slides into place without hassle.
Versatile Design and Large Weight Capacity
One of the most interesting aspects of the Pegasus is the versatility. You have a large working surface when it’s regularly used as a workbench.
Thoughtful Working Area
Many of this items only offer the top working surface. But the Pegasus ensures that you have a place for your tools. The bottom surface is robust enough to hold heavy tools when working.
The leg system locks into place to prevent its collapse in the middle of usage. It’s just what many people can anticipate when working with the Worx model.
- The Pegasus is a versatile workstation that converts from a table to a sawhorse in seconds
- It can be joined with other Pegasus tables to create a larger work surface and includes a dual clamping system to hold any object securely in place
- As a worktable, the Pegasus offers a 31” x 25” surface capable of supporting up to 300 lbs.; the unique link-lock system ensures your Pegasus table will hold heavier materials without buckling or folding
- Two quick-adjusting bar clamps slide along the built-in tabletop channels and act like a second set of hands to hold straight-edged materials in place for cutting, gluing, painting, varnishing and any other DIY tasks
- Four holding pegs (we call ‘em clamp dogs) can be rearranged across the tabletop to secure rounded or irregularly shaped objects
- You can also remove the clamps and simply fold down the sides of the Pegasus for a sturdy sawhorse that can support up to 1,000 lbs
- In sawhorse mode, the Pegasus has indentation wells designed to help hold a standard 2×4 steady so you can work more safely and easily
- The Pegasus’ compact and lightweight design means you can take it anywhere. A built-in lower shelf holds tools and a power strip to keep everything easily accessible, organized and out of the way
- When you’re done for the day, the Pegasus folds flat for easy storage – perfect for those with a smaller workspace or garage. Whether you’re a DIY lover, a crafter, or a woodworker, the WORX Pegasus is the perfect companion for every project on your list
Overview of WORX Pegasus Multi-Function Work Table look at the video:
Keter Folding Compact – Best Heavy-Duty Workbench
Whether you want to sand two-by-fours or you want to get handy on the go, the Keter Folding Workbench is a great pick.
It provides a sturdy worktop to help you work with heavy materials without worrying the surface will give in the middle of a job.
Apart from the positive first impressions, you’ll notice that this procut is elegant and it stands out in any workshop.
Heavy Duty Capabilities
The Keter workbench has a capacity of 1000 pounds. It uses robust steel wheels that stabilize any load you want on the worktop. It provides reliable work support since steel is virtually unbreakable. As such you can count on it for complicated tasks.
You’ll like that it comes with a pair of handheld clamps that secure the material in place. These clamps are adjustable meaning you can deal with different shapes of materials. They can also be installed in horizontally or vertically.
Better still, the worktop provides a wide area where you can place oversized materials. You can feel that the surface is also textured to ensure that soft materials do not slide off the top.
The center support system folds first, to allow the legs to fold, after which the unit becomes flat on both sides, and you can carry it using the convenient carry handle.
Built to Last
This workbench uses weather-resistant materials for its construction. This allows it to adapt to any working environment. It is built to resist corrosion, rust, and abrasion thanks to the polypropylene resin that makes every inch of the worktop.
Keter also indicates that these materials are recyclable hence it is one of the environment-friendly workbenches you can find on the market.
- The Folding Work Table by Keter provides a sturdy yet portable work space for a wide variety of projects
- From home improvement projects to commercial construction work, this folding workbench helps you get the job done in any type of setting
- Whether you need a sawhorse for cutting jobs or a place to rest boards for painting, a pair of one-handed clamps holds your project materials securely in place
- Count on this folding work table to provide dependable work support for everything from sanding two-by-fours to staining table legs
- Durable steel legs provide the support you need to feel confident while performing any task
- Thoughtful engineering, quality construction and weather-resistant materials allow the table to adapt well to any work environment
- Made from rugged polypropylene resin, the work table is built to stand the test of time
BLACK & DECKER WM125 -Best Portable Workbench on a Budget
BLACK & DECKER is a reputable company with workshop tools. The WM125 is no exception as it exhibits some very reliable properties.
Just like the other models, this workbench comes folded in a box.
It does not also require any assembly.
It looks brilliant on the outside with black legs and a wooden worktop.
The frames on the Black & DECKER WM125 are built of steel. These legs are capable of holding as much as 350 pounds. It’s not the most heavy duty workbench for on the go projects, but you must agree its capacity can handle most projects in a woodwork shop.
Compact, Lightweight Design
This workbench exhibits its portability by folding to less than half its size. It collapses quickly to a subtle size that you can easily carry to different locations. The frame acquires a height of only 5 inches such that it’s going to be a breeze when storing it in a small space.
Its portability also opens possibilities for moving it around your home when you want to perform repairs, or when you want to free up space in your workshop.
If you’ve ever worked with a heavy material, sometimes it becomes hard to stabilize it.
The WM125 comes with non-skid feet that prevent the workbench from sliding. You can use it on all kinds of floors from hard concrete, to soft wooden ones. It also preserves the floor by preventing any scratching when you drag the workbench to a different position in the workshop.
The WM125 comes with adjustable swivel pegs. They allow for clamping of materials at odd angles. This should help you work on all piece shapes as well as complete projects in time.
It helps to add to the accuracy of your work since you can put the pegs in the desired position. The jaws also resist warping when dealing with uniquely shaped materials.
- This bench features a sturdy construction that holds up to 350 lbs
- The compact, lightweight design makes it possible to fold the bench for easy storage, and the adjustable swivel pegs easily clamp even awkward shapes
- You can use this bench for clamping, painting, cutting and also as a workbench and sawhorse
- The durable steel frame and wooden vise jaws provide a sturdy, stable surface
- The original jaws of this Black and Decker Portable Work Bench resist warming and swelling, so you don’t need to worry about them changing size in the future
- A steel frame makes this bench super durable, and durable wooden vise jaws provide a sturdy surface so you can get your work done well
- Workmate original jaws resist warming and swelling
How to assemble Black & Decker WM125 look at the video:
Performance Tool W54025 – Best Multipurpose Workbench
The Performance Tool W54025 has distinctly similar properties to that of the BLACK+ DECKER, but there’s a little twist to it.
This workbench is more compact as it has a smaller print than any of the models on our list.
It is in a bright yellow color that suits those that are keen on the sophistication of the exterior features.
Flexible Working Options
This tool is great for DIY enthusiasts. It carries a large working surface on the multipurpose platform.
First, the tabletop has a grid, ruler, and protractor. It makes your work much easier by allowing the taking of measurements for the materials on the platform. It uses a one-handed clamp system to give the convenience of adjusting the jaws independently.
You can also make holes on workpieces without worrying the surface underneath is going to be damaged.
The collapsible design of this tool makes it easy to transport and store. It does not take much space so whether you want it around the workshop or you have to stack it in an already full store, you can be sure no part is going to break in the process of storing this tool.
You’ll also like that it has a storage rail that is essential in arranging your tools for work.
The legs on the Performance Tool feature a steel construction. The yellow paint finish indicates it can last for long in the best condition. With the non-skid feet, you can sand with confidence knowing that it will not shift from a position.
This model is a reliable, portable workbench and anyone can benefit from the features it showcases.
- The Performance W54025 Multi-Purpose Workbench can be used to hold work pieces safely in place while working with them
- The four bench dogs of the W54025 Workbench enable it to hold odd shaped workpieces in place without damaging their surfaces
- The W54025 Workbench can also allow for cuts or holes to be made in workpieces with an open space under it, eliminating the worry of damaging surfaces underneath
- Folding design allows for easy storage without taking up much space
- Includes 4 bench dogs for holding odd shaped pieces
- Tabletop printed with grid, ruler and protractor for added convenience
- Includes tool storage rail to keep tools withing easy reach but out of the way 200-Pounds safe working load capacity
Kreg KWS1000 Mobile Project Center – Best All-Around Portable Workbench
If you are looking for a true workhorse, then you have it in the Kreg KWS1000.
This tool is one of many things including a workbench, assembly table, sawhorse, and a clamping station.
It works great for professional and hobbyists projects as it provides great accuracy.
It is a functional tool by itself, and it becomes even more useful when paired with other Kreg tools.
This workbench explores an A-style steel frame. It is responsible for holding workpieces up to 350 pounds.
The Kreg Mobile Project Center has uses large top with dog holes and an integrated Kreg Clamp. It can accept lots of Kreg accessories so you are not limited to the kind of projects you can perform and complete with great accuracy.
You can secure stock horizontally using the Automaxx bench clamp which slides into the center-mounted T-track. The Kreg screw containers allow for hooking notches on every dimension of the worktop.
It is also expandable by pairing it with another Kreg workbench. This aspect should come in handy when you want to work on overly large pieces. It connects quickly using the convenient brackets which ensures that all the clamping features are still available after expanding the worktop.
When you fold down it, this tool converts into a dependable sawhorse with a much more significant weight capacity.
Ample Storage Space
The Kreg KWS1000 has built-in trays to hold screws, and it also has holsters to store your drill. The lower shelf has a weight capacity of 25 pounds. You can store much larger tools when you want to access them quickly in the middle of a project. It helps to keep everything at hand’s length but still out of the way for a clean working surface.
- Tables provide large 27.5″ x 31.5″ work surface and 360° access
- Locking table supports with easy-release tabs
- Hole pattern on tables accept Kreg Bench Dogs and other accessories
- Included Kreg Bench Clamp with Automaxx clamps vertically and horizontally
- Built-in storage trays hold hardware and other parts
- Heavy-gauge steel legs provide a solid foundation
- Folds down in seconds for work on the go and easy storage
- Expandable by pairing with a second Mobile Project Center
- The open tables can support up to 350 pounds (158kg), and have built-in storage trays, holsters for your drill, and more
- A shelf underneath holds up to 25 pounds (11.3kg) of supplies and tools out of the way but close at hand while you work
Review of Kreg KWS1000 Mobile Project Center look at the video:
Best Portable Workbench – Buyer’s Guide
Before you embark on the search for the best mobile workbench, here a short guide to help you through the process.
Why Do You Need it?
If you want to perform quick repairs around the home, a portable workbench is more convenient when accomplishing such tasks. It is not limited to the location meaning it can go anywhere the project takes you. What’s more, you can work in remote places around the workshop since most of them occupy a small space.
Easy to assemble – most portable workstations require unfolding of the tool instead of putting together parts. It can open in as little as 30 seconds.
Folds flat for storage and transport – these tabletops are relatively lightweight. They collapse to a subtle size making it easy to store in a small space. Some have carry handles to help with the transport.
They don’t compromise on the features – Although portable; most workbenches have similar capabilities as that of stationary workbenches. This includes the working height, large work platform, and heavyweight capabilities.
Heavy-duty Construction – these tools feature steel and aluminum frames with abrasion resistant properties. They are much like stationary workbenches with the convenience of portability. The legs lock such that they are sturdy enough to accommodate weights up to 1000 pounds.
Versatility – portable workbenches can convert into sturdy sawhorses just by flipping the legs.
They carry the risk of collapse – during applications of heavyweight materials, these workbenches need to be 100% secure otherwise the feet may collapse and cause serious injuries. They are not also safe when conducting dangerous tasks like sawing and drilling.
The Ideal Accessories for Your Workbench
Clamps – in any woodwork shop clamps are never enough. You should ensure that your workbench comes with several of these.
Large benchtop with vise – the bench should be sturdy complete with holes to accommodate bench dogs. It should also have a vise at the end of the top to hold pieces together in place.
Sawhorse compatibility – you’ll need a sturdy work base which can hold over 500 pounds of load. An all-around workbench will convert into a sawhorse for heavy duty tasks like sawing.
Tool storage – you’ll need a place to store hand and power tools. The workbench should have a lower shelf or a tools rail for that convenience.
Wheels – Although they are not a must have, wheels provide the flexibility of using the workbench in different positions of the workshop without dragging it around.
What is the Ideal Height for Your Portable Workbench?
Every artisan has this question in mind especially if your back aches after working for long hours. Being able to adjust the height on the workbench is a big convenience.
But if you can’t: just get the measurements of the distance from the floor to the inside crease of your wrist. This should provide the correct height that should not hurt your back.
Metallic Legs vs. Plastic Workbench Legs
For industrial purposes, metallic frames are preferred on workbenches. They can accommodate materials weighing hundreds of pounds by resisting the pressure of the extra weight.
The only advantage with plastic legs is that they reduce the weight of the workbench making it easy to transport them.
Advantages of Adjustable Workbench Legs
They provide flexible worktops – some projects are better-done standing while others are polished when seated. With adjustable legs, you can complete projects at a comfortable height.
They require less floor space – you can adjust the legs so that the workbench occupies only the available floor space.
Disadvantages of Adjustable Workbench Legs
They pose the risk of collapse – by adjusting the height it means you have to lock that position. If the height is not secured correctly, the workbench may collapse in the middle of an application.
While there are lots of advantages of owning a portable workbench, picking one is not always an easy part. We’ve researched some of the best that stack up to the models on the market. These are the most lightweight, compact, and functional brands. They have heavy-duty designs and remain versatile for a wide variety of projects.